Monday 23 May 2011

Set Goals...

In fear of repeating what I may have mentioned in a post a few months back, I cannot stress enough the importance of setting yourself a goal, or for that matter a series of goals for the next season... We find ourselves going into wet and winter weather in South Africa at the moment and the perfect time to dissect and scrutinise the past season's success and "hic-cups" whilst plotting the way forward to a successful season to come...

Of late I have taken a "back seat" from training as I sufferred from a dose of bronchitis and then encountered a repeat of a niggle I had with my hip towards the end of last season. As frustrating as it was to have to take a break, I can honestly feel that I have done the right thing! Physio treatment, low intensity activity and a relaxing last few weeks with my fiance (who has also been out of sorts with an ear operation) has created that "hunger" for intensity again... I feel like this time off has given my body and mind a good spring clean!

The point of all this is that by setting yourself goals, you are able to focus on something. Its too easy to say you are going to do something without actually focusing on it. By having something to focus on (such as a goal) you adapt your thinking, actions, routine & mindset in achieving that goal. By not focusing, you set yourself up for a tougher and possibly unrealistic journey in attaining your goal...

I have recently received some fantastic news from one of my sponsors who will be assisting me in achieving my goal of racing at World Long Distance Triathlon Champs later this year in Henderson, Nevada, USA. I am truly grateful to them and my other sponsors in the support they give. My goal before receiving the news was like an "idea", now it is tangible and really focusing me on a program to take me there and to achieve my goal of racing against the best... Massive thank you guys!

Whether your goal is your first triathlon, or losing weight, or even climbing the corporate ladder - the same fundamentals apply. Give yourself something to focus on, see the end vision in your mind, plan how you will achieve that goal and most importantly, hold yourself accountable in getting there!

The results are amazing, very satisfying and most rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment