Tuesday 3 May 2011

Time out...

I hope you have all rested well over the last week, enjoyed a good Easter with your family and the holidays (bank holidays) that followed...

For me, it was the ultimate recipe to relax, unwind, recollect on my past season and... catch a cold! You often hear stories of when you are at your most relaxed that your body drops its guard so to speak. Together with the sudden drop in temperature experienced in Cape Town, my body decided it needed a "time out"... and deservedly so! It has been at its most optimal over my entire season without any complaints, helping me attain successful results.

I have also been grateful to Cipla who have assisted me in staying in peak shape and so it was natural that after my last race, 2 Oceans Trail Run, that my body deserved the rest it needed. It feels quite strange having been out of any form of excersise for almost 10 days now, but also a great buffer to launch from when fully fit again.

Just as your body speaks to you when it needs to rest and recuperate, so it allows your mind to divert to other topical issues associated with your everyday life, some that often take a back seat during your training. For example, picking up on your culinary skills in the kitchen (or in front of the braai - bbq). Making allowances for good sleep times or even walks in the fresh air as apposed to runs with "splits" in mind... Essentially, its a time to reflect and recharge...

I have been a little "awol" of late but it has a lot to do with what I have just mentioned. I think its very important to distract yourself from a rigorous routine from time to time. Keep your body guessing, interested and alert. Change things a little and create interest even with the seemingly mundane...

Here is to healthier days ahead, a recharged body and revitalised mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment