Friday 25 March 2011

Be prepared, when Training...

You might think that this topic sounds a little lack-luster to warrant any constructive content, but allow me to elaborate...

This morning my beautiful fiance and I went for a training run, we decided to leave at 5:20am as she had to get 35km in before work (Carole is training for the 2 Oceans Ultra 56km race in April), while I had a less daunting 15km recovery run. Thinking it was to be a cold morning, I threw on the layers, but it must have been at least 19 degrees celcius without a breath of wind - awesome Cape Town weather!

And then I thought...

How often have you gone for an early morning run/cycle before the sun has risen, only to find that the batteries in your headlight are flat? or when you have gone to the gym for a swim only to have forgotten your towel? or perhaps a run along the beachfront after work without any suncream or sunglasses? Come on, you know you have been in this situation before...? I thought so!

Quite often we take things for granted, we are creatures of habit at times and simply assume the sunglasses are in our run bag, or completely forgot after our last early morning ride that the batteries needed re-charging. Try and get into good habits, prepare for little things, it will help with bigger preparations, such as race bags the night before the race the next day, or the long bike ride and all the nutrition you will require...

I try to stay one step ahead where I can, like leaving an extra gel, energy bar, a high factor sun cream & a towel in the car - you never know! I must admit, at some point, I have been guilty of all that I mentioned earlier and so it helps to prepare accordingly....even for training purposes.

A mind that is prepared, is aware and vigilant, it helps one to remain calm when nerves start to creep in. Having the quiet reassurance that all has been taken care of, all that remains is to execute your training session or the race itself.

Get into good habits of preparation, start with your training...

No comments:

Post a Comment