Tuesday 22 March 2011

How important is Nutrition?

I am NOT an expert on this subject and wont profess to be either, however, I know from experience how important it is to know how to fuel your body. To fuel it in such a way so it may withstand intense excerise over a period of time...

My opinion would be to research before you purchase your nutrition and if you wish to take this subject seriously, why not consult with a nutritionist who may be able to help you understand what may be best suited for you...

Be careful of marketing tactics, dont assume a product will work for all types of activities, research first. For instance some products out there contain simple sugars, which simply put, will break down quicker and provide you with energy over a short period of time and drop off just as fast... when in fact you may require a product that has concentrated carbohydrates that helps to fuel your body for longer periods without the sudden spike in energy levels...

Again, my advice, research first...

In South Africa, there are quite a few brands one can choose from. PVM Nutritional Sciences is one of these brands and have been around for over 30 years (the oldest in South Africa). PVM stands for Proteins, Vitamins & Minerals and has a range of products that cater for intensity levels ranging from low to high and short distance events through to ultra endurance events. I am grateful for the support in which they have given me in allowing me to concentrate on my race knowing that the "4th discipline" of nutrition is taken care of before, during and after my race.

                     "Know your nutrition"

No comments:

Post a Comment